These spring rolls are great to whip up for a party, or as a crispy topping for Vietnamese noodle salads.
- 1 egg
- 3 tsp fish sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 scallion, chopped
- ¼ cup minced pork
- ¼ cup minced shrimp
- ½ cup shredded fresh crab meat
- ¼ cup wood ear mushrooms, rehydrated, dried and chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 60 g mung bean noodles (glass noodles), soaked in water
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 3 tsp sugar
- 20 rice paper wrappers
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Nuoc cham, for dipping (see note)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Crack the egg into a bowl. Add fish sauce, salt, pepper, shallot, garlic, and scallion, and mix well. Add pork, shrimp, and crab meat and mix. Add mushrooms, carrot, and noodles, and mix.
- In a large pie plate or flat-bottomed bowl, add water and sugar and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Place one rice paper wrapper into plate and allow it to soften in the water. Remove from water onto a clean kitchen towel.
- Spoon some filling onto one third of the wrapper. Roll over once. Fold in top and bottom. Roll until you get to the end of the rice wrapper.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep saucepan. Add spring rolls and fry until crisp.
- Wrap in lettuce.
- Serve with Nuoc Cham dipping sauce (see note).
• Combine 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons of fish sauce and 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar in a small heatproof bowl. Pour ½ cup hot water over top and stir until sugar has dissolved. Let cool. Meanwhile, add 1 minced garlic clove and 1 chopped Thai chilli to a bowl or mortar. Add 2 tablespoons of lime juice and use a pestle or fork to mash together. Add garlic mixture to fish sauce mixture and stir well to combine.