- 540 g (2½ cups) jasmine rice
- 4 (120 g) lap cheong (Chinese red sausage) (see Note), sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250 g frozen mixed carrot, peas and corn
- 50 g (¼ cup) dried shrimp (see Note), soaked for 20 minutes
- 250 g barbecued pork (see Note), chopped
- 1½ tsp white sugar
- 3½ tsp chicken stock powder
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
The dish is designed to be part of a banquet or shared meal.
Cook rice in a large rice cooker or saucepan. Set aside and keep warm.
Meanwhile, cook lap cheong in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Drain, cool slightly and thinly slice.
Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Add onion and stir-fry for 1 minute or until softened. Add vegetables and lap cheong, and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until vegetables have defrosted. Add shrimp and pork, and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through. Add rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in sugar and stock powder. Serve.
• Lap cheong and dried shrimp are available from Asian food shops.
• Barbecued pork is available from Chinese barbecue shops and restaurants.
Photography by Olga Bennett.