For a quick dinner hack, you can buy pre-made wontons in the freezer section of your local Asian grocer.
- 1.75 L chicken stock
- 2 cm fresh ginger, sliced
- 100 g baby bok choy, roughly chopped
- 200 g wonton (egg) noodles
- ¼ cup green onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp chilli oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Salt and pepper
- 100 g ground pork
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 2 tbsp spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 142 g raw prawns, finely chopped
- 30 wonton wrappers
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- To make the wontons, put ground pork in a mixing bowl. Add soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, spring onions, salt and white pepper, and stir to combine. Add egg white and shrimp, and mix thoroughly.
- To make the wontons, place a heaped teaspoon of shrimp and pork filling in the centre of a wonton wrapper. Dip your finger in a small bowl of water and smear along the edges of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half diagonally and press the edges together until they are completely sealed. Fold the 3 ends around the stuffed wonton to form a pocket and pinch edges together.
- Repeat process until all wonton wrappers have been stuffed. Set aside.
- To make the soup, bring chicken stock to a simmer in a large pot over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper, and add ginger. Once simmering, add stuffed wontons.Cook for 3 minutes, and then add the box choy. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, or until stuffed wontons are slightly al dente.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add wonton noodles and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until slightly soft. Strain noodles, and portion noodles into 5 individual serving bowls.
- Ladle broth, stuffed wontons and bok choy over the noodles. Garnish soup with green onions, chilli oil, and sesame oil.