This easy, one-pot dish is flavoured with ginger, cumin and turmeric and mildly spiced with Kashmiri chilli.
- 1½ tbsp ghee
- 5 cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds, plus extra toasted, to serve
- 2 tomatoes, peeled (see Note) chopped
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp raw sugar
- 300 g (1½ cups) toor dhal (yellow lentils) (see Note), rinsed, soaked overnight, drained
- 150 g (1¼ cups) frozen peas
- chopped coriander, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Soaking time overnight
Heat ghee in a saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger and cook for 2 minutes or until golden. Add Kashmiri chilli powder and cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomato, turmeric and sugar and cook for 5 minutes or until tomato has broken down.
Add toor dhal and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to coat in spices. Add 750 ml (3 cups) water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes or until dhal is cooked and mixture thickens. Add peas and cook for a further 5 minutes or until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and serve with chopped coriander and extra toasted cumin seeds.
• Peeling tomatoes: bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Cut a small cross in the skin at the base of each tomato, then, working in batches, blanch in boiling water for 20 seconds. Remove tomatoes from water and refresh immediately in a bowl of iced water. Cool, then remove skins from tomatoes.
• Toor dhal (yellow lentils), also known as arhar dahl, are available dried from Indian food shops.
Photography Chris Chen. Styling Justine Poole.
As seen in Feast magazine, November 2014, Issue 37.