For this recipe, you will need a sugar thermometer and to start a day ahead. The lemon zest carries this frozen yoghurt and is a perfect accompaniment to fruit-based desserts such as the cannoli all fragola (strawberry cannoli).
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 1 tsp guar gum (see Note)
- 250 g caster sugar
- 4 lemons, zested
- 250 ml (1 cup) lemon juice
- 840 g (3 cups) natural yoghurt
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Makes 1.5 litres
Freezing time overnight
Refrigeration 2 hours and 30 minutes
For this recipe, you will need a sugar thermometer. Start this recipe a day ahead.
Heat cream and guar gum to 70°C in a small pan over medium heat, then set aside to cool.
Process sugar and zest in a food processor until combined. Add cream mixture, lemon juice and yoghurt, and process to combine. Pour mixture into a large, shallow tray and refrigerate for 2½ hours or until chilled.
Spoon mixture into an ice-cream maker and churn until frozen. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 6 hours or overnight, or until very firm.
Serve with strawberry cannoli (cannoli alla fragola).
• Guar gum, available from health food shops, is a gum-like substance from legume-family plants and is used as a thickener.
• If you don’t have an ice-cream maker, make mixture as per steps 1 and 2, then transfer it to a large, shallow tray. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour or until frozen at the edges. Remove from freezer, then beat with electric beaters until smooth and soft. Freeze for a further hour. Repeat beating and freezing until very firm.
Photography by Derek Swalwell.
As seen in Feast magazine, October 2011, Issue 2. For more recipes and articles, pick up a copy of this month's Feast magazine or check out our great subscriptions offers here.