Japan's iconic citrus, yuzu, has a flavour similar to lemon but with a hint of the herbal, piney edge of a mandarin. It's perfect spin for a spin on a regular lemon cheesecake.
- 250 g white chocolate, finely chopped
- 240 g cream cheese
- 6 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 tbsp yuzu juice
- icing sugar, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Cooling time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: 4 hours or overnight
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced). Grease and line the bottom and sides of a 20 cm fixed-bottom cake pan with parchment paper.
2. Place white chocolate in a medium bowl and heat in microwave in 20-second intervals (or set bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water), stirring occasionally, until melted. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in cream cheese and mix until smooth. Let cool slightly, then add yolks and mix again. Set to one side.
3. Using an electric mixer on high speed, in another large bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add a spoonful of egg whites to chocolate mixture and stir just until lightened. Gently fold in remaining egg whites in until just combined. Now add a dash of yuzu juice and fold in.
4. Pour batter into the prepared tin. Place the tin inside a larger baking dish or roasting pan and add warm water to reach halfway up sides of cake tin. Bake cheesecake on the lower shelf until set, 40–45 minutes. Turn oven off and leave pan in oven for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
5. Remove cheesecake from pan, transfer to a platter, and chill until cold, at least 4 hours or up to overnight. Serve dusted with icing sugar.
This recipe is from Donal's Asian Baking Adventure on SBS Food (Channel 33). Stream episodes via SBS On Demand.