The chair of the Aged Care Royal Commission, Richard Tracey QC, has died at the age of 71.
News of the former Federal Court judge's death was confirmed at the beginning of a public hearing in Melbourne.
Mr Tracey died in California where he was receiving treatment for cancer which was diagnosed just weeks earlier.

The 71-year-old had continued working on the inquiry's interim report while undergoing care.
Commissioner Lynelle Briggs AO said she was shocked to hear of Mr Tracey's passing.
"(His continued work) gave us all hope that he would return fit and healthy in the new year," Ms Briggs said on Monday.
"The news of his death was, therefore, a complete shock and absolutely shattering."
Well respected and a comforting voice for abuse victims, Ms Briggs also praised Mr Tracey's expertise in his field.
"His kind words to our witnesses after their presentations gave them comfort and let them know that they had been heard."

The new chair of the royal commission Tony Pagone QC, who was appointed as the third commissioner last month, said Mr Tracey's work on the inquiry had been solid, selfless and significant.
The royal commission held a minute's silence to honour Mr Tracey before the public hearing began its examination of workforce issues.
With AAP

