SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

ACT signs on to federal firearms buyback scheme

The ACT has joined NSW in participating in the federal government's gun buyback scheme, set up following the Bondi mass shooting in December.

A man with grey hair clutching his fists.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the government would work closely with the ACT to keep more guns off the streets. Source: AAP / Lukas Coch

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The ACT has become the latest jurisdiction to sign on to a federal gun buyback scheme.

The territory has reached an agreement with the federal government for the scheme to remove firearms, which was set up following the Bondi mass shooting in December.

It is just the second jurisdiction to join the scheme after NSW announced on Sunday it would be part of the buyback.

It's estimated 14 per cent of the ACT's 7000 firearms licence holders will be affected by a proposed cap on guns.

There are 23,000 guns registered in the national capital.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Under the scheme, 75 per cent of the cost of compensation to firearm holders, administration and gun destruction will be paid for by the federal government.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the government would work closely with the ACT to keep more guns off the streets.

"We're taking action to strengthen Australia's gun laws and keep our communities safe," he said in a statement.

"National gun reform is an important part of making sure an anti-Semitic terrorist attack like we saw at Bondi can't happen again."

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr said while the majority of gun owners were responsible, further safety measures were needed.

"The buyback scheme will provide compensation while helping deliver further community safety outcomes," he said.

"The ACT has some of the strongest firearms laws in the country, and this agreement supports our ongoing efforts to further reduce the risk of firearms falling into the wrong hands."

National cabinet agreed to strengthen firearm restrictions across Australia following the Bondi attack, where 15 people died after two gunmen opened fire at a Hanukkah festival.

But the scheme faces opposition from some jurisdictions, with conservative governments in the Northern Territory, Tasmania and Queensland declining to sign up.

Western Australia had already operated its own gun buyback and does not have plans to be part of a second one linked to the federal government.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world