Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

'We don't need more reviews': Australia's femicide inquiry debate

An alleged domestic violence triple murder has prompted renewed calls for a royal commission into femicide.

A sign reads 'Stop Men's Violence Against Women and Girls' at a rally in Melbourne.
The prime minister has rejected the demand for a royal commission into the issue. Source: AAP / Jay Kogler

in brief

  • Calls for action have been made after the alleged killing of two children and a woman in Sydney.
  • Anthony Albanese has said "we know what's required here".

This article contains references to domestic and family violence.

An alleged triple murder in south-west Sydney has prompted renewed calls for a royal commission into femicide.

On Tuesday morning, it was revealed that a woman and two boys, aged four and 12, had been found dead by police in south-west Sydney. A 47-year-old man has been charged with three counts of domestic violence-related murder.

Acting superintendent Michael Moroney said that authorities believe the deceased are the suspect's wife and children.

The incident occurred one day after the end of a statewide sting targeting offenders with a history of domestic violence, which saw police charge over 900 people.

Sherele Moody, founder of Australian Femicide Watch, has said that the deaths underpin the need for a royal commission into the killing of women and girls in Australia.

"It would lay bare the systemic failures that underpin the violent deaths of women and girls, and the only way we can understand those failures is to listen to the stories of the families who've lost victims," she said.

"We'd look at the reality of the funding levels that we need. We are nowhere near the funding levels that should be in place. We'd look at the flaws in the legal system, in the policing system."

Femicide Watch tracks the deaths of women and girls due to violence in Australia. It has recorded nine children and 29 adults this year alone. Domestic and family violence are key drivers, but Moody said around 40 per cent are lost to other forms of violence.

A royal commission would also allow victims and their families to tell their story, with a focus on diverse, marginalised and multicultural voices, she added.

Australia already knows 'what's required'

More than 93,000 people have signed a petition calling for a royal commission amid an ongoing strain on women's shelters and other frontline services.

On Monday, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese dismissed the idea.

"There's calls for a royal commission about everything," Albanese told Hobart's Hit 100.9.

"We know what's required here. We know that there's too much violence against women.

"We know what keeps women in these relationships, we know what's required in terms of the economic support to get out.

"We know there's a need for more alternative housing. We know there's a need for more counselling and for community workers. And we need to get on with action."

Albanese said his government has invested $4.4 billion towards ending gendered violence, including $100 million for crisis accommodation, and 10-days paid family and domestic violence leave.

Sherele Moody sits on a rock and smiles to camera, a jetty stretches into the ocean behind her
Activist Sherele Moody has called on the government to launch a royal commission into femicide. Source: Supplied / Sherele Moody

The government has also introduced a $5,000 leaving violence payment, and created an additional 500 family and children violence jobs.

However, the prime minister's response did not convince Moody, who said it was dismissive and "out of date".

She added that years of documenting femicide have shown her there are systemic failures that a royal commission could help expose.

"No matter what the government has invested in keeping women safe, it's not working. It is not even touching the sides," she said.

'We need more action'

The National Alliance of Domestic and Family Violence Specialists said in a statement it understands the call for a royal commission but there's no time to wait for another report.

National Domestic, Family and Sexual Violence commissioner Micaela Cronin agrees.

"We have thousands of recommendations and we don't need more reviews. We need more action," she said.

"I understand the call and I understand what's behind it and I am enormously supportive of the work of Sherele Moody and others that are advocating for this. It's complicated."

She said the sector has voiced its concern that a royal commission could lead to delays while the government waits for recommendations.

She's pushing for greater alignment between Commonwealth, state, and territory governments, transitioning towards a whole-of-government approach, and more stable funding.

The commissioner wants to see more energy and resources invested in a second 10-year government action plan that is currently under development.

"The intent and the objective is to end domestic family and sexual violence in one generation. So it's a very ambitious goal," she said.

The first plan aimed to reduce gendered violence, and Cronin says that work laid important foundations, including the establishment of the Australian National Research Organisation for Women's Safety, prevention organisation Our Watch, and the national helpline 1800-RESPECT.

She said the next national action plan will also increase the priority placed on prevention and stopping gendered violence at its source.

Phillip Ripper, chief executive of No to Violence, an organisation working to end men's use of family violence, has also pushed back against the prime minister's opposition to a royal commission.

MICAELA CRONIN PRESS CLUB
Domestic, Family and Sexual Violence commissioner Micaela Cronin has dismissed calls for a royal comission. Source: AAP / Lukas Coch

"It's easy for him to say, 'We know what needs to be done'. If that's the case, why isn't he getting on and doing it?" he asked.

"If he's not going to support a royal commission, what is he going to do? How is this government going to address the issue of women dying week in, week out at the hands of men?"

While there have been a slew of reviews, inquiries, and state-based royal commissions, Ripper said a royal commission could focus the issue.

The idea has garnered some support among parliamentarians, including from independents Lidia Thorpe and Zali Steggall.

Steggall says a royal commission elevates an issue to national prominence, and the fact that there hasn't been one sends a signal that the lives of women and children aren't being prioritised.

She added that NSW has seen a 49 per cent surge in high-risk referrals, and cites financial stress, alcohol availability, and gambling as factors where there should be reform.

Last week's federal budget, which contained limited new funding, also affirmed her view that the sector is being underfunded.

Greens leader and spokesperson for women Larissa Waters agrees.

"It's pretty clear that what we're currently doing isn't working," she said.

She added that new funding for the federal National Action Plan to end violence against women and children would have had material impacts on the ground.

On the question of a royal commission, she said the Greens will be led by the sector.

Cronin acknowledged that stretched services are having to turn some women away, and achieving the goal of ending gendered violence will take a great effort, but that royal commissions are expensive and take time.

"I am concerned that we need to invest more effort and resources into implementing the second action plan," she said, adding that the government aims to launch the plan next year.

If you or someone you know is impacted by family and domestic violence, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732, text 0458 737 732, or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000.

The Men's Referral Service, operated by No to Violence, can be contacted on 1300 766 491.

Readers seeking crisis support can ring Lifeline on 13 11 14 or text 0477 13 11 14, the Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467 and Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 (for young people aged up to 25). More information and support with mental health is available at beyondblue.org.au and on 1300 22 4636.

Embrace Multicultural Mental Health supports people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.


7 min read

Published

By Tee Mitchell

Source: SBS News



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world