Afghans mourn those killed by Pakistan's overnight air strikes

The two countries have been locked in an increasingly bitter dispute since the Taliban retook control of Afghanistan in 2021.

A large group of men stand in prayer behind several coffins laid on wooden biers at an outdoor funeral, with trees and construction equipment in the background.

People attend funeral ceremony for those who lost their lives after Pakistani jets carried out airstrikes in eastern and southeastern Afghanistan. Source: Getty / Anadolu

In Brief

  • Afghans have gathered around a mass grave to bury villagers who died in overnight air strikes by Pakistan.
  • A Pakistani security source said the he strikes killed "more than 80" militants, adding the death toll was expected to rise.

Afghans have gathered around a mass grave to bury villagers who died in overnight air strikes by Pakistan, which says its military operation killed dozens of militants.

The overnight attacks left at least 18 people dead including children, Afghanistan said, and were the most extensive since border clashes since October, which killed more than 70 on both sides and wounded hundreds.

"The house was completely destroyed. My children and family members were there. My father and my sons were there. All of them were killed," said Nezakat, a 35-year-old farmer in Bihsud district, who only gave one name.

Islamabad said it hit seven sites along the border region targeting Afghanistan-based militant groups, in response to suicide bombings in Pakistan.

A Pakistani security source told AFP on Sunday that the strikes killed "more than 80" militants, adding the death toll was expected to rise.

AFP journalists in Afghanistan were not able to verify the toll, which was rejected by an Afghan security source.

"The figure of 80 martyrs given by the Pakistan regime is false and imaginary," the source told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Islamabad said its military targeted the Pakistani Taliban and its associates, as well as an affiliate of the Islamic State group, an information ministry statement said.

Afghan authorities have previously denied harbouring militants.

Taliban government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said "people's homes have been destroyed, they have targeted civilians, they have committed this criminal act" with the bombardment of eastern Nangarhar and Paktika provinces.

Residents from around the remote Bihsud district in Nangarhar joined searchers to look for bodies under the rubble using shovels and a digger, an AFP journalist said.

Rubble surrounding a burnt out car with people standing nearby
A view of the destruction after Pakistani jets carried out airstrikes in eastern and southeastern Afghanistan. Source: Getty / Anadolu

"People here are ordinary people. The residents of this village are our relatives. When the bombing happened, one person who survived was shouting for help," said neighbour Amin Gul Amin, 37.

Nangarhar police told AFP the bombardment started at around midnight and hit three districts, with those killed all in a civilian's house.

"Twenty-three members of his family were buried under the rubble, of whom 18 were killed and five wounded," said police spokesperson Sayed Tayeeb Hammad.

Strikes elsewhere in Nangarhar wounded two others, while in Paktika, an AFP journalist saw a destroyed guesthouse but there were no immediate reports of casualties.

'Calculated response'

Afghanistan's defence ministry said it will "deliver an appropriate and calculated response" to the Pakistani strikes.

The two countries have been locked in an increasingly bitter dispute since the Taliban authorities retook control of Afghanistan in 2021 as foreign forces withdrew.

Pakistani military action killed 70 Afghan civilians between October and December, according to the UN mission in Afghanistan.

Several rounds of negotiations followed an initial ceasefire brokered by Qatar and Turkey, but the efforts have failed to produce a lasting agreement.

Saudi Arabia intervened this month, mediating the release of three Pakistani soldiers captured by Afghanistan in October.

The deteriorating relationship has impacted people in both countries, with land border crossings — crucial gateways for trade — largely shut for months.

Islamabad said on Sunday that despite repeated requests, Taliban authorities have failed to act against militant groups using Afghan territory to carry out attacks in Pakistan, which Kabul denies.

Islamabad launched the strikes after a suicide blast at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad two weeks ago and other attacks more recently in northwestern Pakistan.

The Islamic State group had claimed responsibility for the mosque bombing, which killed at least 40 people and wounded more than 160 in the deadliest attack in Islamabad since 2008.

The militant group's regional chapter, Islamic State-Khorasan, also claimed a deadly suicide bombing at a restaurant in Kabul last month.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.


4 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AFP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world