SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

AFL photo girl agrees to destroy pictures

The teenager at the centre of the AFL nude photograph scandal has agreed to destroy all copies of the photographs she is alleged to have taken from a computer belonging to St Kilda player Sam Gilbert.

afl_photos_scandal_l_101224_aap_1795294545

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The teenage girl who posted lewd photos of St Kilda AFL players on the internet appears to have stepped back from the confrontation she was promoting on the internet, agreeing to surrender all the images she lifted from a computer.

The 17-year-old made her much-anticipated appearance in court in Melbourne on Friday where she agreed through her lawyer the images would be deleted from her computer and destroyed.

Justice Shane Marshall ordered both sides to engage in mediation before January 28.

St Kilda player Sam Gilbert initiated the legal action in the Federal Court on Monday after the girl, who cannot be named, posted nude photos of St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt and teammate Nick Dal Santo on her Facebook page.

In repeated appearances on other social networking sites, the teen said she would defy court orders and would publish more photos she claimed to have of other players.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

She failed to deliver on that threat.

The girl said she had taken her action in response to poor treatment she claimed to have received from the AFL when she claimed last May to have been pregnant with twins to a St Kilda player.

Documents before the court allege that last September she also approached Riewoldt's agent, Ricky Nixon, offering to give him the photo of the player if he paid her $20,000.

The girl claimed she had taken the photos herself, but Riewoldt said they had in fact been taken by Gilbert during a trip to Miami 12 months ago and had then been lifted without authority from his computer.

Her lawyer Tim Bourke told the court he had been engaged to represent her only two hours before Friday's court appearance.

Outside the court, St Kilda vice-president Ross Levin said the club and the AFL had sought a more straightforward resolution of the matter several months ago when they learned the girl had approached the media with the photos.

"We pleaded with the woman for weeks not to release them," Mr Levin said.

"Obviously, an injunction would have been the quickest and most efficient way to go, but we held off."

Mr Levin, who is also a lawyer, said the girl's parents, from whom she is now estranged, had also urged her not to go public with the photos.

He said the girl had changed her mind once she became aware of the level of media interest in the matter and had then sought legal representation.

"We are also pleased that the woman, through her lawyers, consented to the orders we were seeking that she destroy all images alleged to have been taken from Sam Gilbert's computer," he said.

The girl arrived in Melbourne from Queensland on Thursday night and is believed to have had accommodation provided by football administrators.

The outcome of the mediation is to remain confidential.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world