Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Al Shabaab bomb kills 12 in Somalia's Puntland

BOSSASO, Somalia (Reuters) - An al Shabaab bomb attack killed 12 people, including five soldiers, in Somalia's Puntland region on Friday, the Puntland military said.

The explosions hit Af-Urur, 100 km (60 miles) south of the city of Bossaso. Af-Urur is near the Galgala hills, an area controlled by al Shabaab Islamists who have attacked and captured the town several times and in June killed 38 people there.

"A bomb planted near the khat market of Af-Urur exploded," Major Mohamed Ismail, a Puntland military officer, told Reuters. "So far 12 people including civilians and soldiers have died."

The attack coincided with Eid al-Adha, a Muslim holiday.

Al Shabaab, which is linked to al Qaeda and wants to impose strict Islamic law, claimed responsibility.

"We are behind the attack in Af-Urur village. We killed five soldiers and injured 10 others," al Shabaab's military operations spokesman Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab told Reuters.

(Additional reporting by Feisal Omar in Mogadishu; Writing by Abdi Sheikh and Maggie Fick; Editing by Andrew Roche)


1 min read

Published

Source: Reuters



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world