SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Alleged Brussels bomber declares innocence

The only person to so far be arrested in relation to the Brussels attacks, Faycal Cheffou, says he is innocent and has no connection to the terrorists.

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Faycal Cheffou, the man released after being charged with terrorist murder over last week's bomb attacks in Brussels, says he is innocent.

Cheffou's lawyer Olivier Martins said on Tuesday his client proclaims his innocence, is opposed to Islamic State and has no links with the terrorists involved in the attack, Belga news agency reported on Tuesday.

The triple bomb attacks on Brussels' international airport and the Maelbeek metro station have so far claimed at least 35 lives.

Almost 100 people are still in hospital, most remain in intensive care as of Monday.

The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attacks, perpetrated by three suicide bombers.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Since the attacks, Belgian police have been hunting for a fourth suspect who dropped off an explosive device at the airport and then left.

Belgian media reported that the man was Cheffou, who was taken into custody on Thursday.

On Saturday, prosecutors said that a man identified as Faycal C had been charged with terrorist murder, attempted terrorist murder and participation in the activities of a terrorist group.

But he was released on Monday due to lack of evidence, the prosecution said.

Cheffou is the only person so far to have been charged explicitly in relation to the Brussels attacks.

He was detained after a taxi driver picked him out of a photo array, local media reported.

Martins had insisted on a verification of his client's fingerprints, DNA and his physiognomy, Belga wrote.

Video surveillance released of the fugitive suspect shows a man with a stockier build than the images of Cheffou disseminated in the media.

Meanwhile, Indian Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj announced that Raghavendran Ganeshan, an Indian software engineer who went missing after the Brussels attacks, has been identified by Belgian authorities as one of the victims.

Ganeshan, 31, was working for Indian IT firm Infosys on a project in Brussels.

He is survived by his wife and a 1-month-old baby.

Other victims came from Germany, Italy, France, Sweden, Britain, the Netherlands, the United States and China.

EU President Donald Tusk has expressed his sympathies and said Europe must be tough in its response to terrorism.

It remains unclear when the Brussels airport would reopen following the two bomb blasts which caused extensive damage to the departure hall.

On Tuesday, safety tests and passenger simulations were carried out at temporary alternative check-in areas.

The German airline Lufthansa has cancelled all flights to the airport through to Sunday, noting that by then, an overall 265 flights and 19,600 passengers will have been affected.

Low-cost carrier Ryanair announced that all its flights to Brussels airport will be redirected to Charleroi through to Friday.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world