Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Asif agrees to give details of spot-fixing

KARACHI (Reuters) - Banned Pakistan pace bowler Mohammad Asif has agreed to reveal details of spot-fixing to the Anti-Corruption and Security Unit of the International Cricket Council (ICC).

Pakistan cricketer Asif arrives for a hearing at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne
Pakistan cricketer Asif arrives for a hearing at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne

Asif, 30, who finally admitted last week to his involvement in spot-fixing during the 2010 Lord's test against England, submitted an apology and agreed to cooperate with the authorities after meeting with Pakistan Cricket Board officials on Monday.

He was banned by the ICC for seven years, two of which were suspended, along with former captain Salman Butt and fast bowler Mohammad Amir in early 2011.

The trio later served jail sentences in Britain after being found guilty of cheating and corruption by a crown court.

"I told the PCB officials I am ready to cooperate in every way with them and the ICC," Asif told Reuters.

"I don't know whether I will get a chance to play for Pakistan again but whatever happens I want everyone to know I want to make amends for my actions."`

(Editing by John Mehaffey)


1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: Reuters


Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world