SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Austrian refugee shelter set on fire: reports

An Austrian building which was set to be a home for 48 refugees has been set alight by arsonists, the Red Cross says.

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A building in northern Austria due to house dozens of asylum seekers has been deliberately set on fire, the Red Cross says, a relatively rare attack on a refugee centre in a country that has taken in many migrants.

The new wooden building in the town of Altenfelden, near Austria's borders with Germany and the Czech Republic, caught fire on Tuesday night.

The Red Cross, which owns the building, later said arson was the cause.

"It was a shock for us," Red Cross spokesman Stefan Neubauer said, adding that 48 people had been due to move into the building in two weeks' time.

Wooden buildings are being used as a cheaper form of accommodation in Austria.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Last year the country took in 90,000 asylum seekers, more than one per cent of its population, and has scrambled to house them in decent conditions.

Police said two fire sources had been found at the building's external walls, adding that arson was the presumed cause of the blaze.

Austria's Interior Ministry said an investigation was under way and referred to a report last month showing a rise in far-right crimes in 2015.

"There can be no tolerance for extremist criminal acts," Interior Minister Wolfgang Sobotka said in a statement.

"Violence against those seeking protection is not the solution and is a breeding ground for radicalisation."

Europe's migration crisis has heightened public concerns about security and jobs, fuelling a rise in support for far-right parties in Austria, Germany and other European countries.

Despite the growing popularity in Austria of the anti-immigration Freedom Party, whose presidential candidate Norbert Hofer narrowly lost a run-off election last week, violent attacks on centres for new immigrants are rare.

"We want to build a new house on the same site," Neubauer said, estimating the damage at 300,000 ($A464,108).


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world