SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Blatter tells gays to abstain at World Cup

FIFA boss Sepp Blatter has defended his decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar, but urged gay fans to refrain from having sex while visiting the Islamic state.

qatar_worldcupfans_b_101203_epa_1078298365

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

FIFA boss Sepp Blatter has defended his decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar, despite urging homosexual fans to refrain from having sex while visiting the Islamic state.

Blatter said that homosexual fans "should refrain from any sexual activities" that are illegal in Qatar.

Drinking alcohol in Qatar is also restricted, a possible problem for the party-like atmosphere that usually surrounds the tournament.

But Blatter hopes there will be an "opening" of the Islamic culture for the 2022 World Cup.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"It's another culture and another religion, but in football we have no boundaries," Blatter said from Soccer City for the official closing of the 2010 World Cup.

"We open everything to everybody and I think there shall not be any discrimination against any human beings, being on this side or that side, left or right or whatever.

"Football is a game that does not affect any discrimination. You may be assured ... if people want to watch a match in Qatar in 2022, they will be admitted to matches."

Having praised South Africa's tournament as an example of the success a first-time host can achieve, Blatter added he thought there was "too much concern" for the World Cup in Qatar.

FIFA has faced criticism for choosing Russia and Qatar over more traditional footballing countries on December 2, a vote that took place without two members of the executive committee who were suspended for allegedly agreeing to take money for their support.

In his first public address since the vote, Blatter defended FIFA's choices.

"We go to Eastern Europe, to Russia where the World Cup has never been. And later on, we go to the Middle East, we go to the Arabic world, we go to the Islamic world," Blatter said.

"This is the development of football and don't speak about money. This has nothing to do with money, as it had nothing to do with money here in Africa. It has to do with the development of the game," he said, bringing his fist down on a podium for emphasis.

Blatter also announced a $A101.81 million legacy fund for South Africa. He said $A20.36 million had already been used to build a new South African Football Association headquarters and for part of the organising of the competition, but promised the remainder would go to "social and community projects."

FIFA earned an estimated $A3.56 billion from this year's World Cup.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world