SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

CAF rejects Ebola fears as Guinea game goes ahead

CAIRO - A request to move an African Nations Cup qualifier from Guinea, where two new cases of Ebola have been confirmed, has been rejected by the Confederation of African Football (CAF), the ruling body said on Wednesday.

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Malawi had asked for their Group L qualifier, set for Conakry on Friday, to be switched after Guinea last week said two people had tested positive for the Ebola virus.

Guinea had previously been declared free of Ebola and a ban on international football being hosted in the country was lifted by CAF in January.

“Following the exchange of correspondences on the subject between the CAF Secretariat and the World Health Organisation (WHO), the latter said the new cases were discovered in the Guinean forest region of Nzerekore, adding there is no travel ban imposed on Guinea by the organisation, thus posing no threat on the hosting of a football match in Conakry,” CAF said in a statement.

Friday’s game will be Guinea’s first international at home since August 2014. In between, they were forced to host their games in Casablanca, Morocco.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The world's worst recorded Ebola epidemic is believed to have started in Guinea and killed about 2,500 people by December last year, at which point the World Health Organization (WHO) said the virus was no longer being actively transmitted.

More than 11,300 people have died since the outbreak began in 2013, mostly in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

(Reporting by Mark Gleeson in Cape Town; Editing by Ed Osmond)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world