SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Call for inquest after murder accused dies

The family of a Victorian woman murdered 25 years ago has called for a new inquest into the double killing after the man charged over the deaths died.

Robert Penny
A man charged over a Victorian double murder in 1991 has died before facing his day in court. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Police must seek a second inquest into the double murder of two women in a Victorian hairdressing salon 25 years ago after the man charged over their deaths died, one victim's family says.

Robert Penny, 83, died on Saturday as he was waiting to face court over the stabbing deaths of his wife Margaret and her hairdresser Claire Acocks on May 3, 1991.

The women were found beaten, stabbed and had their throats slit in the Old London Coiffure Hairdressers in Portland, in Victoria's west.

Penny, who suffered from emphysema, diabetes and cirrhosis of the liver, was charged over the murders last year, and granted bail under strict conditions.

Following the news of his death, the son of Mrs Acocks called for another inquest into the murders.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Tim Acocks said in a statement on behalf of the family that they wanted Victoria Police to make an application to the courts for a second inquest.

"We're looking forward to the coroner investigating the case and giving his opinion on the evidence before him," Mr Acocks said, the ABC reports.

Penny's lawyer, Rob Stary, also called for investigations to continue as a "cloud" would continue to hang over his client's legacy.

"We think the perpetrator is still out there somewhere and we want to ensure the police continue with their investigation," Mr Stary told News Ltd.

Penny missed several court appearances due to his ill health, including time in hospital for quadruple bypass surgery.

The case was further delayed in November because one of the key witnesses was overseas.

Family and friends of the victims had wept in court and been frustrated by the continual delays, concerned he would die before the outcome of the trial.

Last November Melbourne Magistrates Court heard that Penny asked a local shopkeeper for a product to clean up blood, a report police overlooked at the time.

Victoria Police are seeking advice about what Penny's death means for their investigation.

"We will liaise with the Office of Public Prosecutions in regard to the current criminal proceedings," they said in a statement on Tuesday afternoon.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world