SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

'Chase and hit' drug dealers: Jokowi

Indonesian President Joko Widodo has called on people at an anti-drug rally to "chase, catch and hit" dealers, describing it as an "extraordinary crime".

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Indonesia's president has called on people to "chase, catch and hit" drug dealers, saying they have found new ways to "trick people" and must be stopped.

Speaking at an event marking International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking on Sunday, President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo said the number of drug users across the country was increasing, with around 40 to 50 youths dying every day because of drugs.

Drug dealers, he told the rally in Jakarta, have found new ways to "trick people", by using women and children as couriers and hiding illicit substances in toys, prosthetic legs and other goods.

He called on all security agencies to combat the "extraordinary crime".

"We declared war against drugs in Indonesia. I want to remind all of us, chase them! Catch them! Hit them!" he told the crowd.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

According to a statement from the presidential palace, the crowd cheered louder when Jokowi said: "Remember ladies and gentlemen, 40 - 50 our youths died because of drugs. If the laws allowed it - `bang' (shoot) them!

"Luckily, the laws doesn't allow that.

"With power and determination from all of us, we'll chase those drugs dealers. Anywhere there's drugs in Indonesia, I order all government resources to be present and to eliminate it. Our country Indonesia could not be the place for drugs trafficking and dealing no more, especially for producing those forbidden goods," he added.

Jokowi has previously declared the war against drugs an "emergency" in Indonesia and used it to justify executions of offenders, despite widespread international outcry.

The Attorney-General's office has flagged that 16 people will face a firing squad in Indonesia this year, with the budget to execute another 30 in 2017.

There are more than 200 people on death row in Indonesia, 58 of which are for drug-related crimes.

The attorney-general has said that the country is likely to resume executions after the national holiday Idul Fitri in July.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world