Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Cricket Australia regrets players' boycott of South Africa tour

The Australian Cricketers' Association says Australia A players will not tour South Africa in response to an ongoing pay dispute.

Australian Test batsman Usman Khawaja
The Australia A tour of South Africa is likely to be soon scrapped due to the pay dispute. (AAP)

Cricket Australia says it is disappointed players have decided to scrap an Australia A tour of South Africa.

Players and their union, Australia Cricketers' Association (ACA), say they're frustrated at having to abandon the South African tour.

The players say their hand was forced by CA's reluctance to find a solution to a long-standing pay dispute.

"Cricket Australia regrets that players have made this decision despite progress made in talks between CA and the ACA in meetings over the past week," CA said in a statement on Thursday.

About 230 cricketers are effectively unemployed after last weekend's expiry of a Memorandum of Understand (MoU) which covered wages.

CA says discussions this week should have allowed the Australia A tour to go ahead.

"While a new MOU has not yet been agreed, CA is of the view that these talks should have enabled the tour to proceed as planned," the CA statement said.

"CA will continue to work towards a new MOU which is in the interests of both the players and the game and calls upon the ACA to show the flexibility clearly now needed to achieve that outcome."

ACA repeated its call for CA to attend meditation -- a move the governing body has rejected.

"The Australia A players have sacrificed their own ambitions for the collective," ACA said in a statement on Thursday.

"(It's) an incredibly selfless act that shows their strength and overall commitment to the group.

"All players are deeply disappointed at the behaviour of CA which forces this course of action, given the players would rather be playing for their country.

"CA refuse to attend mediation or offer any genuine flexibility in the MOU negotiations. And without mediation it's hard to see how there can be the progress necessary to reach agreement."

The Australia A squad had been training in Brisbane and were due to depart on Friday for South Africa for a July 12-August 8 tour featuring four-day matches against their hosts and a limited overs tri-series also involving India A.


2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world