Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Crunch time for Adam Scott's US Open push

Adam Scott continues his quest for US Open qualification at this week's Forth Worth Invitational, after missing out on the latest rankings cut off by one shot.

Australian Adam Scott watches his tee shot.
Australian golfer Adam Scott says he is feeling motivated in his bid for US Open qualification. (AAP)

Adam Scott says fierce competition for US Open spots is motivating him to make a giant leap up the world rankings at the US PGA Tour's Forth Worth Invitational in Texas.

Scott missed out on snaring a ticket to the year's second major by one shot at last week's Byron Nelson Championship.

A tie for sixth would have done it but the Queenslander shared ninth and rose to world No.61 - with only the top 60 qualifying for Shinnecock Hills via Tuesday's world rankings window.

"I've had control of the circumstances but they are very fine lines we're talking about," Scott said.

However the former world No.1 is still well in the frame to continue his active streak in the majors (67), which dates back to the 2001 British Open.

Scott will tee it up at the famed Colonial Country Club in Forth Worth, Texas, having tasted victory there in 2014.

But the 37-year-old knows a stellar result will be needed to climb inside the top 60 and remain there through to the June 11 deadline.

"There are 20 guys sitting around my world ranking capable of great golf," Scott said, who also has the option to enter 36-hole US Open sectional qualifying on June 4.

"You look at Luke List; he's having a good year and he's (No.52) in the world) - that's how hard it is to get there."

Having tied for 11th at the elite Players Championship two weeks ago, Scott earned consecutive top-15 finishes for the first time since February 2016 and is feeling good about his quest.

"This is a good start to having a great back end of the season and I still think I can have a really good year," Scott said.

Joining him in the field at Colonial are fellow Australians Aaron Baddeley, who is temporarily using accomplished caddie Steve Williams, as well as Rod Pampling, John Senden and Cameron Smith.

Headlining the field are three-time major winner and Dallas native Jordan Spieth, Players Championship winner Webb Simpson, Justin Rose, Rickie Fowler and world No.4 Jon Rahm.


2 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world