SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Cruz boxing for LGBT community

Orlando Cruz, the first professional boxer to come out as openly homosexual, will fight for the WBO lightweight title on Saturday.

Puerto Rico's Orlando Cruz
Openly gay Puerto Rican boxer Orlando Cruz will fight for the WBO lightweight title on Saturday. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Becoming a world champion for the first time isn't the only motivation driving Orlando Cruz ahead of his WBO lightweight title fight against undefeated British boxer Terry Flanagan in Cardiff on Saturday.

The Puerto Rican boxer wants to change perceptions, too.

"I want to quieten the homophobic people talking bad to the LGBT community," Cruz told The Associated Press. "I want it more for all the gay athletes in the world."

In 2012, Cruz became the first professional boxer to come out as openly homosexual while competing. Initially, he had reservations about making the announcement, considering the macho nature of his sport, but it turned out to be a good decision.

"It's just been support, support, support," Cruz said about the reaction of the boxing community - fighters and fans - toward him over the last four years.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"All the boxers respect my life, my decision. When Orlando Cruz walks into the ring, Orlando Cruz is separate from my sexual orientation. Orlando Cruz is a professional boxer."

Cruz has fought nine times since coming out, one of which was against Mexican boxer Orlando Salido for the WBO featherweight title in 2013.

Wearing rainbow-colored shorts to show his support for the gay community, Cruz was stopped in the seventh round.

In the past year, he was won four straight fights, collecting continental titles at super featherweight.

Now he gets his second shot at a world title in Cardiff, Wales, this weekend, when the 35-year-old Cruz moves up to the lightweight division to fight Flanagan.

The Manchester-born fighter is making the fourth defence of his title since becoming world champion in July last year. He is unbeaten in 31 fights.

When the fight was announced, Cruz spoke of his determination to become the "first openly gay world champion."

"It's a big moment for me, a big moment for my community, a big moment for my country, Puerto Rico," Cruz told the AP in a telephone interview from Cardiff.

"I want that other (gay) athletes are not scared to walk into the society. Don't be scared. Be happy with your life, and happy with your decision. All people are the same."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world