SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

DFAT confirms 2,572 Aussies safe in NZ

Consular officials have confirmed the safety of more than 2500 Australians believed to have been in Christchurch at the time of this week's earthquake.

nz_quake_police_emergency_l_110222_getty_1319197589

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Consular officials have confirmed the safety of more than 2500 Australians believed to have been in Christchurch at the time of this week's earthquake.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade so far has taken 9635 calls and registered 3917 cases.

"We have confirmed the safety of 2572 Australians," a departmental spokesman said on Friday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"The situation is fluid and we are continuing to receive information about Australians in Christchurch."

There were significant operational challenges on the ground in Christchurch, DFAT said.

Departmental staff at Christchurch Airport and at a DFAT consular centre in the Copthorne Commodore Hotel are operating 24 hours a day to assist Australians.

DFAT has been advised that Qantas will have larger aircraft available for flights out of Christchurch.

"We understand that there is availability on commercial flights leaving Christchurch today," a spokesperson said.

Australian citizens or New Zealanders, with a family link or who are resident in Australia, who do not have a passport have been told to go directly to the airport.

There they should approach immigration department representatives who will confirm their identity through security questions before giving departure authorisation.

The government has waived the fees for replacement and emergency passports for all Australians affected by the earthquake.

Meanwhile, an RAAF flight carrying more equipment for recovery operations is leaving Richmond airbase in NSW on Friday morning.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world