SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Diggers manslaughter charges dropped

Manslaughter charges have been dropped against two Army Reserve soldiers over an operation in Afghanistan which killed six civilians.

australian_troop_afghanistan2_B_aap_110406_132648211

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The case against two Army Reserve soldiers charged with manslaughter in Afghanistan will not proceed to a court martial, a judge advocate has decided.

A court martial set for July 11 will now not proceed and the prosecution will have to decide whether to bring alternative charges against the pair.

Former defence chief General Peter Cosgrove says two Army Reserve soldiers now "have their lives back", after manslaughter charges against them were dropped.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Following the decision by a judge advocate in Sydney, Mr Cosgrove said he felt relief for the soldiers.

"They had to stand up straight and let the legal system work itself out," he told Macquarie Radio on Friday.

"It must have been terrible for them and their loved ones and their mates while they went through this process.

"But in the end it seems to me a decision has been reached that gives them their lives back."

The charges related to a February 12, 2009 incident that involved members of the Special Operations Task Group undertaking a compound clearance operation in Oruzgan province.

Six civilians, including five children, were killed as a result of the operation.

The Army Reserve soldiers, identified only as Sergeant J and Lance Corporal D by order of the judge advocate, had been charged with manslaughter and, in the alternative, two counts of dangerous conduct, with negligence as to consequence.

"They were always going to have a strong defence on the manslaughter issue," Mr Cosgrove said, citing "the terrible complexity of what happens in Afghanistan" as well as "the stark matter that they would have no doubt have felt that their lives were in danger".

"(They) were fundamentally defending themselves while they were carrying out their mission."

Mr Cosgrove said he understood any other charges against the pair were of "a much lesser nature... and not nearly as grave".

He said soldiers faced a "dilemma" when they went house to house looking for "some murderous Taliban and then getting involved in a

firefight".

"You can understand why (Judge Advocate) Brigadier Ian Westwood thought that the charges in the end wouldn't stick," he said.

Judge Advocate Westwood was delivering his judgment on pre-trial issues relating to the men's case.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world