One of the founders of environmental action group Extinction Rebellion has apologised after describing the Holocaust as "just another f***kery in human history."
Roger Hallam was publically denounced by members of Extinction Rebellion, German politicians, and Jewish groups on Thursday, with other environmental activists scrambling to distance themselves from the 52-year-old.
The controversial statements were made during an interview with German weekly newspaper Die Zeit.
"The fact is that in our history, millions of people have been regularly killed under dire circumstances," Mr Hallam said, according to Die Zeit.
"To be honest, you could say: this is an almost normal event."

Extinction Rebellion protesters at a rally in Sydney's Martin Place. Source: AAP
In a Facebook post on Friday, Mr Hallam, who is from the UK, apologised for his use of "crass words" and the hurt caused by the statements, but once again compared the Holocaust to the "unimaginable tragedy" occurring today due to climate change.
"I do not feel the need to apologise for drawing attention to the genocide that is happening now. We must learn from the past, from tragedies like the Holocaust and other genocides, to prevent the horror of the near
future," he wrote.
More than six million Jews were murdered by Nazi Germany and its allies - approximately two-thirds of Europe's Jewish population - between 1941 and 1945, making the Holocaust the worst genocide in history.
A Jewish wing of Extinction Rebellion responded to Mr Hallam's comments on Thursday night, stating that genocide should never be used to make a political point.
"No one should talk about a people’s traumatic history in such a crass and throwaway manner, even if the point is to raise awareness about a deadly serious issue," they said in a statement.
"In doing so, they may embolden those who already threaten our community."
The statement came after the German and UK wings of Extinction Rebellion denounced Mr Hallam's comments and distanced themselves from the movement's co-founder.
It remains unclear whether Mr Hallam will remain a part of the organisation, with Extinction Rebellion UK stating "internal conversations" had already begun on how to resolve the conflict, adding that "in some cases exclusion is necessary."
Extinction Rebellion has amped up its provocative protests in recent months, declaring that peaceful civil disobedience is a crucial tool for achieving a sustainable world.
An international week of action organised by the movement last month saw thousands of protesters take to the streets to demand greater action on climate change.
In Australia, 27 members of the group - including former Greens senator Scott Ludlam - had their restrictive bail conditions thrown out last month, after laying on roads to block traffic in Sydney. Approximately 100 activists were also arrested in Melbourne and 65 in Perth for failing to comply with the directions of police.
In yet another colourful protest, more than 100 extinction rebellion protesters buried their heads in the sand at Sydney's Manly Beach for one minute.
Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has since called for harsher penalties for Extinction Rebellion protesters, accusing the group of "thumbing their noses at working people."
"These people are radicals, they're outliers, and frankly I think they do their cause more harm than good," he said.
Some members of Extinction Rebellion are currently in the midst of a week-long hunger strike, spearheaded by US university student Giovanni Tamacas.

Extinction Rebellion protesters outside of Flinders Street Station in Melbourne on Monday. Source: AAP
Activists around the world signed up to carry out hunger strikes in countries ranging from the Democratic Republic of Congo to New Zealand, Pakistan and Turkey, Extinction Rebellion organisers said.
The group's campaigners said the strikes were being carried out in solidarity with people facing worsening hunger as a result of climate change.
Share

