SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Federer to lay low ahead of Open

Roger Federer is set for a much-needed rest as he seeks to regain full health after battling with a flu bug in the lead-up to the Australian Open.

Roger Federer at the Brisbane International
Tennis star Roger Federer will be laying low until the Australian Open after battling a flu bug. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Roger Federer will be laying low until the Australian Open to rid himself of a nagging sickness, but says he's in no doubt he'll be in grand slam form come the tournament's start.

Defending champion Federer was upset 6-4 6-4 by Milos Raonic on Sunday night in the final of the Brisbane International, with the Swiss veteran surprisingly off-colour and unable to contain the big-serving Canadian.

Federer played at a limited capacity in Brisbane, his only Open lead-up tournament, due to a flu bug that swept through his family and threatened to sideline the event's biggest drawcard.

Indeed, if it was played over five sets, Federer said earlier in the week, he probably would have withdrawn from the event.

But after playing four days in a row, the 34-year-old says he will take a much-needed break to shake off what's left of the illness, and believes his base fitness will hold him in good stead as he looks ahead to Melbourne, where he will continue his chase for a first grand slam title since Wimbledon in 2012.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I've still got a cough and the throat is a bit weird," Federer said.

"Definitely got to make sure I get over it as quickly as possible.

"As long as I keep on playing and doing all that stuff it's not going to go away faster."

Raonic, meanwhile, has emerged as a genuine Australian Open contender after his victory over Federer, just the second time he has been able to best the 17-time grand slam winner in his career.

The world No.14 said he "definitely" has it in him to become a force at the majors this year.

"It's sort of two steps: being able to step up and play great for two weeks, which I believe I can definitely do."

But Raonic said if he wanted to compete to be the best player in the world, that was about playing well for 30 weeks.

"That's maybe another step away, but I definitely feel I have it within myself to step up with play great tennis for two weeks."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world