SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

FIFA reform committee says work continues despite bans

ZURICH (Reuters) - A FIFA advisory panel is pressing ahead to draft reforms of the scandal-shaken world football body despite the suspension of President Sepp Blatter and other senior officials amid corruption investigations, the panel's head said.

FIFA reform committee says work continues despite bans
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

"This has no influence on the reform process itself because our work continues," Francois Carrard told Swiss SRF radio in an interview aired on Saturday.

He stressed the committee's efforts were independent of the people in charge at FIFA, whose leadership is in disarray after Blatter and UEFA head Michel Platini, a FIFA vice president, were both suspended for 90 days by FIFA's ethics committee this week.

Both deny any wrongdoing and have filed appeals to try to reverse the provisional bans this week.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Carrard, a former director general of the International Olympic Committee, heads the FIFA Reform Committee that FIFA's executive committee set up in July. The executive committee is supposed to review its ideas before they go before a members' congress scheduled for February.

Carrard gave no details of what his group was considering. It remains unclear if his panel will incorporate radical reforms proposed last month by Domenico Scala, the independent head of FIFA's Audit and Compliance Committee.

Scala's radical overhaul plan, launched after seven football officials were arrested in Zurich in May on U.S. warrants, calls for 12-year term limits for elected FIFA officials, full disclosure of top officials' financial compensation, and more detailed integrity checks on members of committees.

It also includes replacing the powerful executive committee with a governing council elected by congress and a management committee to handle the day-to-day affairs of the organisation.

Carrard's group is made up of representatives of FIFA's six continental confederations -- the very ones who could see their powers reduced under Scala's reform plan.

Asked what chances of success he saw for reforms at FIFA, Carrard said: "I am cautious. As a lawyer I have won many trials I should have lost and sometimes lost what I should have won."

(Reporting by Michael Shields; Editing by Susan Fenton)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world