SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

France moves Calais child migrants

The first busload of unaccompanied child migrants began leaving Calais on Wednesday after demolition teams tore down the ramshackle shacks nicknamed the Jungle.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

France has begun moving about 1500 unaccompanied child migrants from the site of a demolished camp to reception centres across the country, as a feud with Britain over who takes care of the youths dragged on.

The first busload departed at around 08.30am local time and was headed for the south of France.

The minors have been housed temporarily in converted shipping containers in the northern seaside town of Calais after demolition teams tore down the sprawl of ramshackle shacks and tents nicknamed the "Jungle". Thousands of other migrants have already been relocated across France.

Most of the children left behind come from war-ravaged Afghanistan and Sudan's Darfur region and are aged between 13 and 17, according to the charity Care for Calais.

Their plight has triggered a diplomatic row between Paris and London, with tensions intensifying in recent days after President Francois Hollande pressed Britain to accept its share of responsibility for the minors.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

British officials demanded France take better care of them.

Many of the child migrants are desperate to reach Britain, which lies tantalisingly close across a narrow stretch of sea, saying they have relatives there.

European Union rules say Britain must take in unaccompanied children who have family ties. Britain has also made a wider commitment to taking in vulnerable migrant children under the so-called Dubs amendment passed in parliament this year.

France has said Britain has accepted 274 children so far this year from Calais.

British Home Secretary Amber Rudd told MPs last week that UK officials had interviewed 800 children in the camp before it was flattened, and said up to 300 more would be interviewed in the coming weeks.

But she added that not all of them would come to Britain.

The Calais camp came to symbolise Europe's fraught efforts to cope with a record influx of migrants fleeing war and poverty in Asia, the Middle East and Africa.

In all, the French authorities say more than 6000 people were evacuated last week from the Jungle camp to lodgings in towns and villages across France where their eligibility for asylum will be assessed.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world