Fremantle's Suban to miss one AFL game

Fremantle's Nick Suban has been banned for one AFL match on a charge of misconduct.

Nick Suban of Fremantle

Fremantle's Nick Suban is facing a charge of misconduct for a clash during the AFL grand final. (AAP)

Fremantle utility Nick Suban pleaded guilty on Tuesday to making unnecessary and unreasonable contact to the face of Hawthorn's Sam Mitchell and was banned for one match by the AFL Tribunal.

Suban appeared via a video link in Perth and said he had no recollection of the incident which occurred in the first quarter of Saturday's grand final won by Hawthorn at the MCG.

"Looking at the vision, I'd like to apologise to Sam Mitchell," Suban told the tribunal.

Suban will miss the opening game of the 2014 after being handed a penalty of 150 points, which includes 50 carryover points for next season.

Player advocate John Prior told the tribunal the 84-game veteran Suban pleaded guilty.

Legal counsel Jeff Gleeson SC recommended a one-game penalty and tribunal chairman David Jones also said a one-match ban would be appropriate.

"It was an unsightly act and a regrettable act but not one that seems on the vision to have any malice or potential for harm," Gleeson said.

"There's no indication that the player was scratched or torn at the face."

Vision of the incident showed Suban and Mitchell on the ground as Suban grabbed Mitchell by the cheek.

"It's easy to say 'I'm sorry'," Gleeson said, urging Suban to "back it up and miss a week of football."

Prior said he didn't disagree with Gleeson's argument.

Suban's clean record dating back to junior football with Bacchus Marsh in Victoria and his six seasons at Fremantle should be taken into account as well as his guilty plea, Prior said.

"He's grabbed the left-cheek area of Sam Mitchell. At the time Sam Mitchell was holding him," Prior said.

"There are much worse examples of misconduct than this case.

"There's no suggestion he deliberately put his finger or thumb in Mitchell's mouth."

A medical statement from Hawthorn said Mitchell was not treated for any injury and was not receiving any ongoing medical treatment.

"Mr Suban agrees that one game would be appropriate," Prior said.

The matter was referred directly to the tribunal, the first such case of 2013, and the table of set penalties was not applied. If a set penalty had been applied, with the double demerit points policy for grand finals, Suban could have been facing a six-week ban.

The tribunal panel deliberated for 10 minutes before foreman Wayne Henwood announced a 150-point penalty.

Hawthorn have been given until Wednesday to decide whether they will challenge bans to Brian Lake (three weeks for striking) and Cyril Rioli (one week for a chicken-wing tackle).


Share

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Download our apps
SBS News
SBS Audio
SBS On Demand

Listen to our podcasts
An overview of the day's top stories from SBS News
Interviews and feature reports from SBS News
Your daily ten minute finance and business news wrap with SBS Finance Editor Ricardo Gonçalves.
A daily five minute news wrap for English learners and people with disability
Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS
SBS World News

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service
Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world