Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Glenn Maxwell relishing 'career-best' form

Glenn Maxwell says he will be hard to overlook for Australia's one-day tour of England if he maintains his current form.

Glenn Maxwell of Australia
Glenn Maxwell has declared himself to be in the best form of his career. (AAP)

Glenn Maxwell has declared himself in the best form of his career after dominating with bat and ball in Australia's Twenty20 victory over England in Hobart.

Maxwell smashed an unbeaten 103 from 58 balls and took three wickets on Wednesday night as the hosts claimed a five-wicket tri-series win at Bellerive Oval.

The Victorian was also at the crease to guide his country across the line when he made 40 not out during Australia's rain-affected win over New Zealand at the weekend.

It continued what has been a brilliant summer for Maxwell despite remarkably being overlooked for Ashes Test duties and all but one of Australia's one-day matches.

He is the leading run scorer in the Sheffield Shield with 590 runs at 73.75 headlined by an epic 278 against NSW.

The 29-year-old was also among the BBL's best-performed batsmen, scoring 299 runs at 37.37 for Melbourne Stars.

Australia's next white-ball assignment is a five-match ODI tour of England in June with selectors keen to lock down the team to contest the 2019 World Cup.

And Maxwell, who is a strong chance to be named state cricketer of the year at Monday night's Allan Border Medal count, believes he will be hard to overlook for the tour if he maintains form.

"It depends how I'm playing at that time," he told reporters in Melbourne on Thursday.

"If I continue this form, I'd love to be on that plane and obviously if I do get selected, hopefully I'm in similar form and can carry that on.

"This has been my best summer, obviously for output of runs and consistency.

"There's still a few years left in my career so hopefully I can take it to another level."

Maxwell's T20 century drew praise from Steve Smith, who had criticised his training standards in explaining the decision to overlook him from Australia's ODI squad last month.

Maxwell admitted it was a fair call.

"As a No.6, it's an awkward thing to prepare for. You go in with about 15 or 16 different scenarios," he said.

"If your team's 4-50, you've got to make sure you're knuckling down and batting for a long period of time. If you're 4-250 and you're coming in with five overs left, you've got to go from ball one.

"That was more what he was talking about and when I sat down with him, we had a good conversation about that."


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world