Government says no to $200m disaster mitigation fund

The Turnbull government has rejected a Productivity Commission recommendation for a $200 million a year investment in natural disaster mitigation.

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, in South Australia. Tuesday December, 20, 2016. Source: AAP

As Australia heads into its bushfire and cyclone season, the Turnbull government has a rejected a call for a $200 million a year federal investment in natural disaster mitigation.

The Productivity Commission's 2014 report into natural disaster funding arrangements made the recommendation for a gradual mitigation funding increase, arguing it is more efficient than spending money on recovery.

Justice Minister Michael Keenan released the government's long-awaited response to the report on Thursday, announcing it would not pursue the recommendation at this stage.

He said mitigation is primarily a state and territory responsibility.

State and territory governments had raised significant concerns about the proposal to reduce the federal government's contribution to recovery funding, he said.

However, the government was considering allowing states to use any left over money from reconstruction projects of essential public assets towards future disaster mitigation activities.

Mr Keenan said since the commission's report was released, federal and state governments had been developing and testing a new disaster recovery funding model.

It was based on an upfront assessment of damage and estimated reconstruction prices, rather than the current reimbursement model.

The changes would not alter the level of support the federal government provides to jurisdictions.

"Instead it aims to strike the right balance between recovery and mitigation by reducing barriers to building back better when appropriate," Mr Keenan said.


2 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world