SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Govt 'listened to cops' in Tiahleigh case

The Queensland government listened to police advice all the way along in the case of Tiahleigh Palmer, the state's acting premier says.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Queensland's acting premier has defended the state's handling of the Tiahleigh Palmer case, saying it had closely followed the advice of police on the matter.

The state's foster system is facing heavy scrutiny after murder charges were laid against the schoolgirl's foster father.

"What we've done is paid very close attention to police advice all the way along," Acting Premier Curtis Pitt said on Thursday.

"We have listened to what police have told the government and, of course, individual agencies have acted within their protocols."

It has emerged that Tiahleigh's foster family operated a day care centre until their approvals were revoked in April when police alerted the government to alleged criminal activity.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Mr Pitt said while he was distressed by the circumstances in the case, it was now up to justice to take its course.

The government on Wednesday announced a six-month review of the state's blue card system in light of the charges laid against Tiahleigh's foster family.

The 12-year-old's foster father, Rick Thorburn, 56, has been charged with murder and interfering with her corpse, while his son Trent, 19, is facing charges of incest, perjury and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

His wife Julene, 54, and older son, Josh, 20, have been charged with perjury and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The Thorburns were approved as Tiahleigh's carers in August 2014.

The Marsen State High School student vanished in October last year, with her body later found on the banks of the Pimpama River.

Child Safety Minister Shannon Fentiman has said all checks around blue cards, criminal history and references were undertaken as well as mandatory training.

The Liberal National Party (LNP) opposition has called for a full-blown independent inquiry into the child safety department and the state's foster system.

But Mr Pitt has rejected those calls, saying the former LNP government had already undertaken a full-blown review and those outcomes were being implemented.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world