SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Govt mum on Malaysian resettlement deal

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull won't confirm whether Australia is in negotiations for a refugee resettlement deal with Malaysia.

Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull (r) and Malaysian PM Najib Razak
PM Malcolm Turnbull won't confirm if Australia is in negotiations for a refugee deal with Malaysia. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The Turnbull government is keeping tight lipped about a potential deal with Malaysia to resettle refugees on Nauru and Manus.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull declined to comment on speculation an agreement is close between the two countries after holding bilateral talks with Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) leaders' summit in Lima.

"When an agreement is reached we make an announcement," he told reporters on Saturday (Peru time).

Back in Australia, Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said the government was not going to public comment on any negotiations it might be having with countries.

"We have been desperate to get people off Nauru and Manus to third countries ... we have always said ideally we want a multi-lateral arrangement," told Sky News on Sunday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

In opposition, the coalition refused to support the Gillard government's attempts to pass legislation for its Malaysia people swap deal, after the High Court scuttled the plan in 2011, citing concerns about human rights violations in Malaysia at the time.

Tony Abbott has since retrospectively expressed some regret that as opposition leader he hadn't allowed the Labor government to pursue its mandate.

Asked about the hypocrisy of the coalition potentially pursuing a deal with Malaysia, Mr Turnbull said it was important to achieve "durable resettlement options" for refugees on Nauru and Manus Island rather than make political points.

Labor is already seeking an apology if the deal gets up.

Australia has recently reached a deal with the Obama administration to send some refugees to the US for resettlement.

So far the numbers and time frames are yet to be finalised and it's unclear whether President-elect Donald Trump will honour the deal.

US Homeland Security department officers are already in Australia and will be going to Nauru shortly to start assessments.

The government is expected to put legislation before parliament before the end of the year that would impose a life-time ban on asylum seekers attempting arrive in Australia by boat.

Labor has flagged it will oppose the bill, leaving the government having to draw support from the Senate cross bench.

Senate powerbroker Nick Xenophon said it is a morally vexed issue which will be a conscience vote among his NXT colleagues.

He wants an increase in the humanitarian intake as part of offering support.

"If we can do more to help refugees in camps around the world but also increase our humanitarian intake further here in Australia, then that would be, from my point of view, something that needs to be considered in the context of what the government is proposing," he told ABC television..


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world