Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Guy Sebastian presses Scott Morrison about delay in rollout of $250m arts rescue package

The singer says he has asked the prime minister for answers after it was revealed how little of the $250 million coronavirus arts rescue package has been spent so far.

Guy Sebastian alongside Scott Morrison when the arts package was announced in June
Guy Sebastian alongside Scott Morrison when the arts package was announced in June. Source: AAP

Australian singer Guy Sebastian has asked the prime minister to explain the delay in rolling out a $250 million coronavirus rescue package for the arts.

Less than $50 million of the package has been allocated.

The money has been set aside to underwrite the film industry, which is facing an insurance crisis.

Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young is flabbergasted none of the funding has been spent, four months after the arts package was announced.

"Remember that fancy press conference Scott Morrison did with Guy Sebastian promising money to help artists during COVID?" she tweeted on Thursday.

"Well guess what? Still nothing has been spent."

Sebastian was quick to respond to the criticism.

"I have requested an update from the PM's office about the current and future spend with regards to the arts package," he replied.

"Once I receive the most recent information, I will pass it on."

The singer and television host, who was widely criticised for taking part in the prime minister's press conference, said he had no ties to anyone in politics on a personal or professional level.

"My only objective in getting involved was to be a mouthpiece for my peers, to provide perspective, and to help get funds into the hands of those who need it," Sebastian said.

"My heart breaks for this industry and what everyone has had to endure. I will continue to do what I can to help get people back on their feet."

The $250 million package was announced in June after much campaigning from the sector, which continues to be hard-hit by coronavirus restrictions and closures.

All the funds from a separate $27 million package for Indigenous and regional artists have been distributed.


2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP, SBS



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world