SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Halt court action, One Nation senator says

West Australian senator Rod Culleton is seeking an adjournment of Monday's High Court hearing in relation to his eligibility to sit in parliament.

One Nation Senator Rod Culleton
One Nation senator Rod Culleton has called for a postponement of the High Court case against him. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

One Nation senator Rod Culleton has called for a postponement of a High Court case against him, arguing it would be in breach of a law governing members of parliament.

However AAP understands the directions hearing will go ahead as planned in Canberra on Monday before one High Court judge, and Senator Culleton will have to make his case for an adjournment then.

Senator Culleton is being taken to the Court of Disputed Returns by the federal government over his alleged ineligibility to run for parliament in the July election because of a larceny conviction.

Under the constitution anyone with a conviction which carries a potential jail term of a year or more is not eligible to be in parliament.

Senator Culleton has asked for an adjournment of the directions hearing because parliament is sitting that day and being asked to attend court is in breach of the Parliamentary Privileges Act, the senator wrote on his Facebook page.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The West Australian senator, who is representing himself in the case, said he had contacted the court and "they have no idea what is going on with my case".

He claimed he hadn't been provided with any official documentation or referral regarding being required to attend the court on Monday.

As well, the court had not yet addressed errors in its own rules, which were admitted by Attorney-General George Brandis in parliament.

"They must first fix this so that it abides by the High Court of Australia Act 1979," Senator Culleton said.

Section 14 of the Parliamentary Privileges Act says a member of parliament shall not be required to attend a court on any day when parliament is siting.

A High Court spokesman confirmed Senator Culleton had been notified and it was up to him whether he turned up to the directions hearing.

If he was to seek an adjournment then he or his lawyer would have to make an application.

A spokesman for Senator Brandis said the timing of the hearing was a matter for the court and not the government.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has described the case as important in upholding the constitution.

According to a court notice issued on November 9, anyone who wished to place evidence before the Court of Disputed Returns, or make a submission, had until 12 noon on Thursday to do so.

The directions hearing is set down for 11.30am AEDT on Monday.

The matter of former Family First senator Bob Day's eligibility will also be heard at the same time.

Mr Day's eligibility is being challenged on the grounds he received an indirect benefit from the government in relation to his Adelaide electorate office.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world