Hingis quizzed over alleged assault

Former women's world No.1 Martina Hingis has been questioned by police over an alleged attack on her estranged husband Thibault Hutin.

Former tennis star Martina Hingis

Former tennis star Martina Hingis has been questioned by Swiss police over an alleged assault. (AAP)

Martina Hingis has been questioned by Swiss police after her estranged husband said he was attacked by the five-time Grand Slam champion and her family.

Schwyz canton police spokesman Florian Grossmann says Hingis, her mother Melanie Molitor and her mother's boyfriend Mario Widmer were interviewed at its headquarters last week.

Grossmann told The Associated Press the canton justice department will decide possible further action. No timetable was set for a decision.

French equestrian athlete Thibault Hutin has said he was attacked on September 23 at his home in Feusisberg. Hutin claimed Hingis and Molitor hit him, and Widmer struck him with a DVD player.

The 33-year-old Hingis came out of retirement this year to play doubles with Daniela Hantuchova at tournaments including the US Open.


1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world