Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

HK 'milkshake murderer' loses final appeal

Nancy Kissel, Hong Kong's "milkshake murderer", has lost her final appeal against her life sentence for killing her banker husband in 2003.

American housewife Nancy Kissel, dubbed the "milkshake murderer", has lost her final bid to appeal against her conviction in Hong Kong for the 2003 murder of her banker husband.

The 49-year-old expatriate, serving a life sentence since 2005, was found guilty of drugging her husband - a senior executive at US bank Merrill Lynch - with a sedative-laced strawberry drink before clubbing him to death with a lead ornament in their luxury home.

She has maintained she acted in self-defence against an abusive spouse.

"We dismiss this application," presiding judge Robert Ribeiro said on Thursday at the Court of Final Appeal as a frail-looking Kissel sat quietly in the dock behind bars.

She was then taken out of the court room on a stretcher.

Her defence team had told the court that Kissel suffered from depression and "had only killed the deceased in a frenzied attack provoked by threats and the deceased's physical assault on her".

Kissel's trial gripped the former British colony, shining a spotlight on Hong Kong's elite expatriate community, and featuring sensational allegations of a heady mix of adultery, violence, spying, greed and enormous wealth.

The Michigan-born mother-of-three was first convicted of murder and handed a life sentence in 2005, but the Court of Final Appeal overturned the conviction in February 2010, citing legal errors, and ordered a fresh hearing. She was convicted again in 2011.

An appeal against the second conviction was rejected in December last year, and her bid to overthrow that ruling went to the city's highest court after an application was rebuffed in a lower court in January.

Kissel had admitted to killing her husband and offered to plead guilty to manslaughter.

After killing her husband in their Tai Tam home, prosecutors accused Kissel of rolling up his body in a carpet and covering his head with plastic, leaving it in the bedroom for days before hiring workmen to carry it to a storeroom.

Prosecutors also argued that Kissel stood to gain up to $US18 million from the death of her wealthy husband, saying she planned to run away with a TV repairman with whom she admitted having an affair in the US.


2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world