SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Hundreds demand justice for murdered kids

A retrial application is being prepared by NSW police over the murders of three Aboriginal children 26 years ago.

A child holds an Aboriginal flag during a protest in Sydney
Hundreds of people have marched in Sydney demanding justice for three murdered Aboriginal children. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Politicians and police officers were among the hundreds who have marched to NSW parliament demanding justice for three Aboriginal children murdered 26 years ago.

The three children - 4-year-old Evelyn Greenup and 16-year-olds Colleen Walker and Clinton Speedy-Duroux - went missing from Bowraville on the mid-north coast within five months during 1990-1991.

The bodies of Clinton and Evelyn were discovered in bushland on the outskirts of the town, while Colleen's body was never found.

Local man Jay Hart was tried separately over two of the murders and found not guilty in each.

The victims' families have long argued key pieces of evidence linking the three crimes together have never been heard in court.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

On Thursday, they descended on parliament to demand a retrial of the alleged killer.

They're asking NSW Attorney General Gabrielle Upton to refer the cases to the Court of Criminal Appeal - a move which could trigger a retrial.

Colleen's brother, Lucas Craig, said his family had been living an unshakeable nightmare for the past 26 years.

"What makes this even worse is that no one has ever been held accountable for our loss," Mr Craig said.

"Our families have fought long and hard; we will not give up the fight for justice which they (the murdered children) deserve."

Clinton's aunt, Helen Duroux, said the three families deserved peace.

"How do you see the pained expressions on our faces and acknowledge the sadness in our hearts and still choose to do nothing?" she said.

"It's time that you right the wrongs of the past - it's time for justice for Bowraville."

Inside parliament, NSW Greens MP David Shoebridge tried to gain support for changes to double jeopardy laws by redefining technical terms, which advocates believe have proven an obstacle to securing a retrial.

"We are talking about a marginal change to a law that has fundamentally failed," he told upper house MPs.

Choking back tears, Mr Shoebridge made an emotional apology to families sitting in the chamber when the major parties rejected his bill.

"We haven't done the right thing by you but we won't forget, we won't stop, we'll stay with you until you get your justice," he said.

Police have confirmed they're preparing a fresh application for a retrial under existing double jeopardy laws, which is expected to be presented to the Attorney-General soon.

"NSW Police are fully aware of the families' concerns. We have prepared a further application to have the matters referred to the Court of Criminal Appeal," a spokesman told AAP.

"This application can be provided to the Attorney General in due course."

Ms Upton said in a statement that she would ensure an independent review of any application does take place.

"I want to acknowledge the pain experienced by the families and extend my deepest sympathies. It is now a matter for the families and NSW Police Force whether to make an application for a retrial in the Court of Criminal Appeal," she said.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world