SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

I'm still in it, says Spieth after a two-over 72 at Oakmont

OAKMONT, Pennsylvania (Reuters) - Defending champion Jordan Spieth was happy to be "still in it" as a contender for the U.S. Open, despite not getting the score he felt he deserved on Friday after a marathon first round.

I'm still in it, says Spieth after a two-over 72 at Oakmont
(Reuters)

3 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

The world number two ground out a two-over-par 72 at treacherous Oakmont Country Club, finishing six strokes off the early pace set by fellow American Andrew Landry at the weather-hit major championship on the outskirts of Pittsburgh.

"It was tough, starting and stopping and conditions changing from when we started to when we finished, but it is what it is," Spieth told reporters after carding two birdies and four bogeys in a round interrupted three times on Thursday by thunderstorms.

"Bit of a shame, because Oakmont, it was so great in those practice round days when it started to firm up. Now, you know, it's still great, but it's a different golf course.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"Overall, I felt like I played well. I felt like I didn't quite get rewarded with my score for how I felt like I played. A couple tough breaks. It's a U.S. Open. I'm still in it."

Spieth, who won last year's U.S. Open at Chambers Bay by one stroke, said that approach shots had become a very different proposition at Oakmont with the firm conditions from earlier in the week having been softened by rain.

"It made the back pins actually much more challenging, I thought, after the delays," said the 22-year-old Texan. "Those front nine back pins, I hit a couple shots that I thought were perfect and all of a sudden they just ripped back.

"I hit good shots, had a couple bad swings. But for the most part, I played like an even-par round, and you'd take four of them here. Just didn't quite get the couple shots that I thought I deserved, but sometimes you gain a couple you didn't deserve."

Spieth will not start his second round at the weather-delayed event until Saturday when he could end up playing 36 holes in one day, a prospect that left him unperturbed.

"You're talking guys that are playing 36 today and possibly us playing 36 tomorrow? I really don't mind that at all," he said. "You stay loose. You just stay in the same rhythm.

"Obviously, you hope you get in a good rhythm to start that you can kind of gain momentum off of."

(Editing by Larry Fine)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world