SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

iPhone flaw may remain secret: FBI

The FBI is still undecided on whether it will reveal how it managed to unlock an iPhone after a high profile legal stoush when Apple refused to help.

iPhone
The FBI is still undecided on whether it will reveal how it unlocked an iPhone without Apple's help. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

FBI Director James Comey says his agency is still assessing whether a vulnerability used to unlock an iPhone linked to one of the San Bernardino killers will go through a government review to determine if it should be disclosed to Apple or the public.

"We are in the midst of trying to sort that out," Comey said on Tuesday at a cybersecurity event at Georgetown University in Washington, DC.

"The threshold (for disclosure) is, are we aware of the vulnerability, or did we just buy a tool and don't have sufficient knowledge of the vulnerability to implicate the process?"

The White House has a procedure for reviewing technology security flaws and deciding which ones should be made public.

Comey suggested the audit may not apply in this high-profile circumstance.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Although officials say the process leans toward disclosure, it is not set up to handle or reveal flaws that are discovered and owned by private companies, sources have told Reuters, raising questions about the effectiveness of the so-called Vulnerabilities Equities Process.

Comey's comments appeared to concede the FBI does not own the method used to crack the county-owned work phone belonging to Syed Farook, who with his wife opened fire in December on a San Bernardino holiday party, killing 14 and wounding 22.

The method instead belongs to a still-unidentified third party that the FBI said came forward due to the attention received from its public pursuit of a court order to compel Apple's assistance in unlocking the phone.

Sources have told Reuters the technology used to access the phone data was supplied by a non-US company.

Apple's refusal to comply prompted a high-profile standoff and ignited a long-simmering debate over security and privacy and law enforcement access to encrypted technology.

The government withdrew its case after it said the secret hacking method worked.

Comey has previously said the method only works a "narrow slice" of iPhone 5c devices running iOS 9.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world