SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Jackie Trad to restart West End project

Queensland's deputy premier has been criticised for indicating the controversial West Village development will move forward, 10 weeks after calling it in.

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Brisbane's controversial on-again, off-again West Village project is back on the table but Deputy Premier Jackie Trad is facing a local backlash over the looming approval.

Ms Trad, Queensland's planning minister as well as the local South Brisbane MP, on Sunday revealed the $800,000 urban renewal project would be finalised "in the coming days".

She previously called in the development at West End - to include 1200-plus apartments, retail and commercial space in seven skyscraping towers - in September following pressure for green and community groups.

Those same groups are again upset the decade-long construction project is set to be approved this week subject to planning conditions.

Local Greens councillor Jonathan Sri labelled the proposed changes - including a doubling of green space, a slight reduction in apartments and a staggering of tower heights from eight to 22 storeys - as minor and didn't address the main concerns.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Mr Sri said residents weren't opposed to the site's development but they wanted better consultation and more affordable housing for low-income earners.

"There is no community support for 22-storey buildings on Boundary Street," he said.

The West End Community Association agreed with Mr Sri, saying residents would be disappointed and could punish Ms Trad dearly at the next state election.

"This is an issue we have been out there fighting for two years," said WECA president Erin Evans.

"It won't go away."

Ms Trad denied she was trying to placate the Greens by calling in the project and overseeing changes which include reducing site cover from 95 per cent to 80 per cent, leading to taller towers.

Among the proposed changes are for an "innovative" electric vehicle charging station as well as the retention and re-use of two heritage buildings.

"This is a once-in-a-generation urban development," said Ms Trad, adding it would create thousands of jobs.

Opposition Leader Tim Nicholls was quick to respond by saying those jobs had needlessly been put on hold for three months while she had given "false hope" to the West End community.

He denied it was a good result for the development industry due to the uncertainty and doubt created.

"It (this) is simply a political ploy by Jackie Trad to protect her skin in the seat of South Brisbane from the greens."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world