Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Jeff Fenech avoids recorded conviction

A magistrate has ruled a conviction should not be recorded against former boxing world champion Jeff Fenech, who disrupted a NSW Crime Commission hearing.

Former world champion boxer Jeff Fenech
Boxer Jeff Fenech is expected to be sentenced for disrupting a NSW Crime Commission hearing. (AAP)

By Rebecca Ison

Boxing legend Jeff Fenech won't have a conviction recorded against him despite his "petulant outburst" at a NSW Crime Commission murder hearing.

The 52-year-old, dubbed the Marrickville Mauler during his career, threw a document on the ground, put his hands in front of him and asked to be locked up during the hearing last November.

But the Downing Centre local court's deputy chief magistrate Christopher O'Brien on Monday dismissed a charge relating to the disruption and ordered Fenech to enter a two-year good behaviour bond.

The court heard that Fenech paced between the bench and bar table at the commission and said words to the effect of "I'm out of here" about an hour and 20 minutes after he started giving evidence.

After speaking with his lawyer, the triple world champion immediately apologised and continued to give evidence.

"It was not threatening," Mr O'Brien said of the former boxer's conduct.

"Offensive language was not used. Neither was any violence offered."

The court heard Fenech, who pleaded guilty to disrupting the hearing, was not accused of being involved in the murder the commission was investigating.

Mr O'Brien said Fenech's "petulant outburst" which lasted less than a minute, seemed to be an act of exasperation rather than a deliberate attempt to undermine the commission's authority.

He said the offence was on the lower end of the scale but added Fenech must have known his actions were inappropriate.

"Why else otherwise would he would he have asked to be locked up?" Mr O'Brien said.

The court heard Fenech had previously been congratulated on his decades-long community work by former prime minister John Howard.

Fenech's lawyer Danny Eid said his client had suffered "tremendous grief" since the incident.

"I tried my best that day ," Fenech said outside court.

"And maybe I did get a little angry. I regretted that, I apologised."

Numerous references, including one from former Nine boss David Gyngell, were tendered in court.

Mr O'Brien took Fenech's charity work into account before dismissing the charge, which carries a maximum penalty of two years imprisonment.

"The outcome is not as a consequence of his public profile," he said.

"The outcome does, however, bear in mind the generous community contribution that public profile has allowed him to give."


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world