Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Kyrgios lands pre-Open doubles crown

Nick Kyrgios has teamed with American Jack Sock to land his maiden ATP doubles crown in a morale booster ahead of his French Open showdown with Bernard Tomic.

Nick Kyrgios
Nick Kyrgios has claimed a confidence-boosting doubles titles ahead of the French Open. (AAP)

Nick Kyrgios has rounded out his very limited French Open preparation with a breakthrough doubles triumph in Lyon.

Kyrgios, who faces fellow Australian Bernard Tomic in a marquee first-round match up in Paris on Monday, teamed with American Jack Sock to land his maiden ATP doubles crown in Lyon.

Sock and Kyrgios edged out Czech Roman Jebavy and Dutchman Matwe Middelkoop 7-5 2-6 11-9 in a deciding match tiebreak on Saturday.

The Australian No.1 is seeded 21st for the Roland Garros grand slam but remains under a fitness cloud having not played singles in six weeks due to an elbow injury.

"I'm making good progress. I've got to take it slow," Kyrgios said.

"I haven't completed by rehab yet. I'm about 80 per cent.

"So it's been a good week, good preparation and I'm just happy to be healthy and to obviously win the title with Jack."

The 23-year-old declined to discuss his scheduled date with Tomic.

But should he take his place in the French Open draw, Kyrgios and Tomic will square off for the first time.

Tomic is riding a seven-match claycourt winning streak after successfully qualifying in Paris with three impressive straight-set wins.

Countryman John Millman, the only player to topple Tomic in the past month and who also beat Kyrgios at last year's US Open, can't tip a winner of the all-Australian Open showdown.

But he admits it will be must viewing.

"Bernie did a really good job qualifying. It's not easy to qualify here at Roland Garros. I've never done it so great work from him," Millman said on Saturday.

"It will be an interesting match. I don't know how Nick's tracking right now. I saw him briefly in Lyon where he's just playing doubles obviously. He's had a pretty light schedule.

"So it will be interesting to see if he's 100 per cent fit and ready to go for that one."

Millman is also unsure who Australian fans will be supporting in a clash between two of the country's most polarising sportsmen.

"Look, we both know that sometimes they divide opinion with the Australians but at the core of it also we both know that when they're playing at 100 per cent they can beat anyone all over the world," he said.

"So hopefully they let their racquets do the talking and, if they do, they can both kick some massive goals.

"It will be an interesting one for everyone to watch, not just for guys back home but everyone here's interested to see how that one goes and I know I'll be watching the TV if I'm not playing."


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world