Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Magpies to run Pendlebury right to line

Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury will be given until Sunday to prove his fitness to take on AFL rivals Geelong.

Scott Pendlebury of the Magpies is seen in action
Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury will be given until Sunday to prove his fitness . (AAP)

Daniel Wells will play his first AFL match since August on Sunday against Geelong but whether he runs out with Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury is yet to be seen.

Pendlebury suffered and ankle injury in the Magpies' defeat of Brisbane Lions last week.

While the 30-year-old has been cleared of a serious setback, he could yet sit out the high-profile MCG clash after missing training on Friday.

"We'll name him and give him every chance but he has to be under some doubt given that he didn't train," coach Nathan Buckley said.

"We'll run him all the way to the line."

Buckley said Pendlebury's demonstrated ability to push through the pain barrier would give him every chance of lining up.

"Some guys have a threshold to be able to play with pain and injury ... Pendles is a guy that has played through quite a bit," he said.

"Not all of it people on the other side of the fence would know. He's extremely courageous in that sense and just finds a way."

Wells, 33, has overcome hamstring and achilles problems to finally crack into Collingwood's side.

Buckley suggested a return might have come sooner if not for his high-performing side, at 4-3 in the win-loss, like Sunday's opponents.

"When your side is performing at the top it gives you a few more options," he said.

"We've been able to be a little bit more patient with some guys coming back and that's not a bad position to be in."

Wells played 10 matches for the Magpies last season, losing just two.

"He was a very important player for us playing our best footy last year. We're still exploring what our best footy looks like this year (and) he'll get his chance," he said.

Geelong are likely to field their much-vaunted midfield trio - Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood and Gary Ablett - for just the third time together.

Buckley said a decision on who, if anyone, to tag and when to do it would come down to matchday.

"We can't tag all of those players or cover them all ... but we can enforce a game style that we think suits us and take it away from the opposition," he said.


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world