Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Man charged with Qld shooting murder

Queensland police have charged a man with murder six months after a shooting death in Brisbane, but won't reveal his links to the victim.

Detectives are refusing to reveal the relationship between the alleged victim of a Brisbane shooting and the man charged with his murder.

The breakthrough in the case comes more than six months after Russell Johnstone, 24, was found lying in Jarrow Street, Tingalpa, with gunshot wounds to his head and chest in the early hours of February 6 this year.

Mr Johnstone died in hospital several days after the incident.

On Wednesday, police revealed a 24-year-old Brisbane man had been charged with murder.

Detective Inspector Owen Elloy would not detail the relationship between the accused man and the alleged gunman.

"(That's) a good question, and certainly one I'm not prepared to answer," he told reporters in Cleveland.

Det Insp Elloy said the investigation into the shooting had been the most exhaustive he'd seen in 35 years with the police service.

"Without doubt, this is the most intense," he said.

Mr Johnstone's family was speaking with officers at the Cleveland police station on Wednesday morning.


1 min read

Published

Updated


Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world