Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Maxwell back in Australia's ODI frame

Australian coach Darren Lehmann says Glenn Maxwell is back in the frame for ODI selection after injury ruled out Chris Lynn.

Australian allrounder Glenn Maxwell
Glenn Maxwell's international cricket career has been a mixture of hits and misses. (AAP)

Darren Lehmann says Glenn Maxwell's name will be among those floated as Australia settles on a replacement for the injured Chris Lynn.

Maxwell was the shock omission from the one-day international squad announced last week, with big-hitting Lynn favoured despite carrying a hamstring niggle and still not being able to throw properly after shoulder surgery.

But a new injury, this time to Lynn's calf, has ruled the Brisbane Heat star out of Australia's five-match ODI series against England later this month.

Captain Steve Smith raised eyebrows in justifying Maxwell's non-selection, publicly outing the Victorian by suggesting he "train smarter" and "keep his head switched on" to improve his consistency.

While Maxwell accepted his poor run of ODI form was reason enough for his snub, his supporters have pointed to a career-best 278 and a follow-up 96 in the Sheffield Shield this season to suggest he was harshly treated.

But Lynn's withdrawal has offered Maxwell another lifeline, with Australian coach Lehmann saying he was in contention for a recall.

"We'll talk about Glenn and other players and work out who the replacement is in the next day or two, and let you know," he said.

In-form Test left-handers Shaun Marsh and Usman Khawaja, as well as Victorian Peter Handscomb, will also come under consideration.

Uncapped Northern Territory product D'Arcy Short, the leading run scorer in the BBL with the Hobart Hurricanes, could be a bolter.

Lehmann also said paceman Mitchell Starc would be rested at some stage during the limited overs series to ensure he was fresh for the tour of South Africa.

Starc missed the Boxing Day Test with a bruised heel and made steady improvements in his Sydney return.

"He wasn't too bad; he got better as the game went on," Lehmann said.

"His pace was down day one but then started to pick up some confidence ... I would think he won't play all the one dayers, but he'll certainly play some of them."

The MCG will host the series opener on January 14.


2 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world