SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Melbourne man charged after terror raids

Counter-terror police have charged a Melbourne man on suspicion of potential offences against the Commonwealth criminal code act

Victorian police
A man has been charged by a joint counter terrorism team after a stabbing in Sydney's west. (AAP) Source: AAP

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A Melbourne man has been charged on suspicion of potential terror-related offences as part of an investigation into five men already before the courts for allegedly trying to leave Australia to join Islamic State in Syria.

The 25-year-old will face the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday, charged on suspicion of potential offences against the Commonwealth Criminal Code Act, specifically those concerning incursions into foreign countries to engage in hostile activities.

Counter-terror police raided a property in Melbourne's northwest earlier on Friday and arrested the man, who has been remanded in custody until he faces the court.

As part of this investigation, five Melbourne men were arrested in Queensland earlier this month and extradited to Melbourne to face court, each charged with one count of making preparations for incursions into foreign countries for the purpose of engaging in hostile activities.

"There is no current or impending threat of a terrorist act to the Australian community arising from this investigation," a Victoria Police statement said.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

There were similar raids on homes in Melbourne's north and northwest on May 17 linked to the five men accused of trying to sail a boat out of Australia to make their way to Syria and fight with IS.

Islamic preacher Musa Cerantonio, 31, Shayden Thorne, 28, Kadir Kaya, 21, Antonio Granata, 25, and Paul James Dacre, 30 were arrested on May 10 near Cairns towing a seven-metre vessel en route to Cape York.

Police allege they bought a car, trailer and boat and were planning to travel to Indonesia, before heading on to Syria or northern Iraq.

"Today's arrest relates to that investigation," police said on Friday.

"The primary focus of this operation has been, and remains, to keep Australians safe."

When the five men first appeared in a Melbourne court last week, after their extradition from Queensland, a large group of friends and family were there to support them.

Among them was Shayden Thorne's brother Junaid Thorne - a controversial preacher who was last year jailed for booking airline tickets under a false name.

Some of the supporters didn't stand for Magistrate Luisa Bazzani, which she said was disrespectful.

"It's part of the Muslim faith, Your Honour," defence lawyer Rob Stary told the court on May 19.

"A person says they stand for no one other than Allah."

The five men did not apply for bail and were remanded in custody to face court again on September 22.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world