SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Melbourne man Michael Quinn arrested in US on child sex charge

Melburnian Michael Quinn thought he was going to meet pedophiles and young boys for sex in a LA hotel room, but he was soon behind bars.

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A Melbourne man faces life in prison after flying to Los Angeles in the hopes of meeting "other pervs" and having sex with young boys, US authorities say.

Michael John Quinn, 33, was locked up in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Detention Center on Tuesday after his arrest during a sting at a LA hotel on the weekend.

A trap was set for Quinn earlier this month after he allegedly had an online conversation on a social networking website for pedophiles with undercover agents from the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations unit.

Quinn allegedly told agents he was travelling to Los Angeles and wanted to "meet up with a dad who shares his young ones".

Quinn explained to the undercover agent he was hoping to meet "other pervs" in the US and agreed to pay a human trafficker $US250 ($A348) to provide him with a young boy with whom he could engage in illicit sex, authorities say.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Quinn allegedly went to the LA hotel on Saturday afternoon expecting to meet with three fellow child predators for a party, during which the men would engage in sex with boys provided by the sex trafficker.

Quinn went to the hotel room not realising the men inside were actually undercover HSI special agents and a short time later, another undercover agent, posing as the sex trafficker, arrived to collect payment for the children, authorities allege.

After Quinn allegedly handed the "sex trafficker" the money, law enforcement authorities entered the hotel room and took him into custody.

Quinn was charged with attempted sex trafficking of a minor, which carries a minimum sentence of 15 years and a maximum of life without parole.

He was also charged with one count of travelling to the US for the purpose of engaging in illicit sexual conduct with a minor, which carries a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison.

"As this case shows, children everywhere are vulnerable to such predators, including children right here in Los Angeles," United States Attorney Eileen Decker said.

"The internet has helped to enable the child sex tourism industry by making the world a smaller place but this case, and others like it prosecuted by my office, show that such international predators can and will be brought to justice."

Quinn is scheduled to appear in US Federal Court in LA on Friday.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world