SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Missing married couple have been found

A married couple who were the focus of a police search at Port Hinchinbrook on the north Queensland coast have been found.

Missing-couple_Boat_B_Getty_197691232

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A married couple who were the focus of a police search at Port Hinchinbrook on the north Queensland coast have been found.

A police spokesman told AAP the couple are safe and well.

The man and woman were reported missing after their vessel apparently capsized and sank during Cyclone Yasi in Port Hinchinbrook harbour.

Communication problems were hampering a police search for a married couple.

Meanwhile, two men reported missing since Yasi struck early on Wednesday morning were located yesterday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

One sailed into the battered marina at Port Hinchinbrook, while the other man from Kennedy, north of Cardwell, made contact with police.

Disaster management teams will focus their efforts at the weekend on getting essentials to Townsville, Ingham, Ayr and Charters Towers.

District disaster coordinator superintendent Col Campbell said some major retailers would be allowed to open outside normal trading hours.

Coles, Woolworths and IGA stores in Ingham, Ayr and Charters Towers will be allowed to open longer to allow residents to replenish their food stocks.

Cardwell cannot be accessed by vehicles because of flooding and damaged roads, say police.

Also yesterday, Queensland Premier Anna Bligh revealed the state's first cyclone-related death.

Ex-Cyclone Yasi's first, and so far only known victim, was a 23-year-old man, sheltering in the disaster zone, who was asphyxiated by generator fumes.

His body was found on Thursday on a property at Bamboroo, near Ingham, an area hit hard by the category five cyclone about midnight on Wednesday.

Yasi has resulted in the biggest domestic deployment of defence force personnel in more than 30 years.

All troops based in Townsville will help clean up the cyclone-hit north in the biggest deployment since Cyclone Tracy.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard in Townsville on Friday said 4000 troops based in the city would take part in the cyclone recovery efforts.

"In the Brisbane flooding recovery, when people were battling with filth and mud, we had 1500 soldiers doing that work and that was the biggest deployment for a natural disaster since Cyclone Tracy.

"So, there's a lot of boots on the ground making a difference and they're doing it with a great deal of spirit and enthusiasm and that's great to see."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world