SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Mistreatment claim probed by ADF in Afghanistan

The ADF is investigating claims of prisoner mistreatment in Afghanistan, as news emerged that security cameras covering detainess had been on the blink.

diggers_afgh_b_defence_922898896
(File: AAP)

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The Australian Defence Force (ADF) is overhauling its security camera coverage of detainees in Afghanistan after revelations the cameras had not been recording continually as they were supposed to.

Defence Minister Stephen Smith said Chief of the Defence Force Angus Houston had told him some failures in the CCTV recording system at the centre, which is meant to be under constant surveillance, had been identified during an investigation.

"The ADF is addressing this serious CCTV issue and has begun to put in place procedures to resolve the matter, including immediate action to ensure continuous footage is being recorded and archived," Mr Smith said.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

He said Air Chief Marshal Houston is expected to report on the security camera situation soon.

Defence took over the managing and processing of insurgents captured by Australian and other coalition forces in Oruzgan province in August when the Dutch withdrew from Afghanistan.

Mr Smith said nine allegations of mistreatment had been made against the ADF by detainees since August 1.

"These allegations have been found to have no substance and have been dismissed," Mr Smith said.

An investigation had been launched in January by the Australian Defence Force Investigative Service (ADFIS) into an allegation made by a Defence member about the handling of detainees at the screening facility in Tarin Kowt.

Mr Smith said someone had alleged the detention management team may not have complied with procedures relating to the management and administrative processing of detainees.

"These allegations have been and are being taken very seriously and a full investigation by ADFIS is underway."

The results would be made public when it was completed, the minister said.

Troops 'frustrated'

Australia has also called on the Afghan government and the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) to investigate an incident witnessed by Australian soldiers involving a detention operation by Afghan National Security Forces.

"ISAF Joint command will participate in an investigation led by the Afghan National Security Forces," Mr Smith said.

The Australian Defence Association (ADA) last year complained Australian troops were frustrated because they could not properly interrogate or hold insurgents for more then three days before releasing them.

The ADA said last year that troops, especially special forces soldiers, were risking their lives to capture insurgent suspects who were subsequently recaptured on the battlefield.

Mr Smith said that from August 1 to February 13 Australia had apprehended 425 detainees, transferring 80 to Afghan or United States authorities and releasing the remainder.

of those released since August, four people had been recaptured by Australian soldiers.

"Three of the individuals in question were released on both occasions as there was insufficient evidence to provide a conclusive link to the insurgency," Mr Smith said.

"In the case of the fourth individual, the second time he was apprehended there was sufficient evidence to provide a conclusive link to the insurgency."

The fourth man was transferred to a detention facility in the province of Parwan, in line with Australia's management framework.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world